Chart topping singer-songwriter and recent “MTV EMAs” host Bebe Rexha is a multi-platinum singer and mega hit songwriter of numerous smashes including “The Monster,” “I Got You” and “Me, Myself & I.” But her path to stardom wasn’t an easy one—filled with countless hours of songwriting (she’s penned huge hits for artists including Eminem, Selena Gomez and Pitbull), collaborating with artists as a featured singer, soul searching, and navigating through the turbulence of the music industry on the journey that catapulted her to solo stardom. The Ride explores the moments that changed Bebe’s life, defined her career, and made her the unique solo power artist she is today. The Ride: Bebe Rexha premieres on MTV Asia on 22 May 8pm (SG/PHI), 9pm (MY). The show can also be viewed online from 23 May, 12pm onwards.
In the lead-up to the premiere, tune in to watch Bebe Rexha on MTV Hits on 18 May 3pm (SG), 19 May 6pm (SG) and 21 May 9.30pm (SG) and on MTV Music Evolution on 20 May 6.30pm (SG) and 21 May 2pm (SG).
Some things you didn’t know about Bebe Rexha:
· Bebe’s full first name is Bleta, which in Albanian means “bumble bee.” Her mom recalled, “When Bebe was born, she was the cutest little thing with big eyes, and my husband said she's as sweet as honey.”
· She played trumpet in her grade school band, an instrument she went on to practice for eight years. Bebe had originally wanted to play flute – but by the time the class musical instructor called her name (by surname order, Rexha) on instrument selection day, all the flutes were already distributed to other students.
· Bebe met Fall Out Boy bassist Pete Wentz while in college, when Pete and producer Sam Hollander overheard her recording demos at their studio. The moment led to the signing of her first record deal with Pete’s experimental band, Black Cards. On the day she received the call to join the group, Bebe was in Italian class and she recalled: “I literally just left and never went back to college. The funny thing is, I passed every class that semester except music.”
· When the Black Cards disbanded in 2012, the band publicly announced that Bebe decided to pursue a solo career – while the bigger truth was that Pete Wentz no longer wanted Bebe in the group. Despite the fallout, Bebe and Pete remain friends.
· When Bebe hosted the 2016 MTV EMAs live from Rotterdam, she revealed that she actually started tearing up onstage during her live TV entrance, when she was lowered from the top of the arena on a swing to officially welcome fans and audience members to the show.
MTV’s The Ride follows today’s hottest artists as they reveal the most game-changing moments that transformed their lives, culminating in the #1 most important moment that changed everything. There’s nothing more powerful than an artist speaking their truth. The Ride lets today’s most talented performers tell their story – like no one’s ever heard before.
The Ride: Bebe Rexha is produced for MTV by Creature Films; executive producers are Mark Ford and Kevin Lopez for Creature Films and Bruce Gillmer and Jennifer Demme Harris for MTV International.
You can stream her songs from here: https://WMM.lnk.to/thisisbeberexha