Started from humble roots in Kuantan, Malaysia; now successfully gaining global recognition for your multi-talented personas.
Being known for their straightforward and carefree personalities, here is what the hottest DJ sister-duo in town has to say during an interview session recently with our DJ Mag Malaysia representative, Alicia K.
1. Amongst the many talents that you showcase on social media, fans are aware that you started piano since a very young age; did that contribute in inspiring you to venture into the field of DJ-ing?
Leng Yein: I started playing since I was five years old and music had always been in my life ever since. All genres are beautiful in its [own] way and I respect all the artists and aspiring artists who put their time and focus and hard work so passionately into expressing themselves. In a way, yes. It does contribute to my career as a DJ.
2. How does it feel to have a sister duo on the team? Has it helped strengthen your sisterhood bonds when you perform together?
Leng Sisters: I needed my sister with me as a team because we are always a team since we are young. Our bond has always been very very close, strong and solid. Having different partners around the world I sometimes don’t feel the connection in delivering my 100%. With my sister as my partner, all our shows are always a perfect 10. Us working together or not isn’t the reason our bond is strong. We are unbreakable since we were born. She is the most perfect human being to me in my life and she will always and forever be. I am always confident and happy by her side.
3. Both of you are very active on social media, recently live-streaming about your adventures of learning to be a mermaid. *fun stuff* With a busy schedule like that, how do you manage to find time to groom & expand your DJ-ing skills?
Leng Sisters: Basically our shows are back to back so when we are on show it is real life practice. I did not aim to be extraordinary. We are just two hustlers trying to give our best to every crowd we have and so far we haven’t fail any and we are thankful for all the support and love from our fans. We are on world tour but we will always take time off for our family. And we always take time to learn new things because life is not just about mastering one. We can be anything we wanted to be because we are capable of doing that and we are thankful.
4. Whose music are you currently addicted to?
Leng Sisters: There are too many to begin with. So we don’t have just one.
5. We have seen both of you DJ & hype up crowds at crazy parties in the region. What’s the most important thing that comes through your minds when performing live on stage?
Leng Sisters: We have to bear in mind that different regions and countries love and prefer different genres and performances. So we have to sort of know or study about the crowd first, a little before we start our set. We only do live sets and I have a lot of songs selections so there will be no problem on performing to different crowds and age groups. Our experience taught us a lot.
6. For those who aren’t as familiar with your music, how would you describe your music style to them?
Leng Sisters: Unpredictable, because we only do live sets so there are no fixed styles or whatnot. But as usual, we play FOR the crowd so the normal crowd would love the billboards and the popular top chart songs. If its a huge rave, then it will be our remixes etc.
7. If given the chance to collaborate with any DJs in the world, who would you pick, and why?
Leng Sisters: I would appreciate any offer from any DJs in the world because I’m open format and I respect all the artists as a person. There are no favorites. To us, everyone is unique and special. We respect everyone. And we appreciate passion.
8. The Leng Sisters have always been seen as advocates for speaking out for what they believe in. Would you have any advice for those who view you as role models in pursuing their dreams/ careers?
Leng Sisters: Take a leap of faith, make no regrets in life. And Never ever stop being a better version of yourself, for yourself. Never listen to just everyone, never overthink of the what if’s, think of the why nots. At the end of the day, its YOUR life and no one is responsible for your life but yourself.
9. What can fans expect next from the both of you in the upcoming months?
Leng Sisters: We will be touring around most the time so get ready to see us in USA, around Europe, Indonesia, Taiwan, japan, china, basically around Asia etc. Follow us on social media for upcoming shows @lengsean @lengyein
Words & interview by Alicia K @aliciafireheart